Home Forums General See You Friday — 24 hour maintenance :)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Domend

Ah well i was browsing through the ddo forums and i saw that :

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?&postid=4889846#post4889846

I guess see u on Friday everyone :))

Calib

They finally get it right by anouncing the 12 hour downtime a few days before hand!

Oh, wait, wait, what 24 hours, posted 3 hours before the outage…..really!!

😛

Ryan

Strange, Im still able to log in and tomes are dropping like rain.

Flavia

Well if they need to replace a few racks worth of servers 24 hours is short.

Now as the guy working in Telco and IP, 24 Hours of lost service is not acceptable and they have a poor operation team.

Two years ago I did a major upgrade on a telco system ( strangely it was a billing system too… for prepaid mobile, but it also carried mobile VPN )  and we did that over a week end ( lower traffic ). But we didn’t cut the service, during the week before we prepared a full copy of the system ( rented from the test department of the Dutch subsidiary of my company ), and we just put it in place of the system we wanted to upgrade in the network ( 8 cables to move to do that ). Then we had all the time to do the upgrade… and once it was finished we just moved the cables the other way. ( service perturbation in each instance less than 1 second )

Anyway, if you’re looking for me tonight I’ll be in SWTOR  😛

Sinaefay

I rate mobile phones a lot higher than a game, so Im not surprised you couldnt cut service 🙂

Argante

“they have a poor operation team”

As they prove every time they do any work on their servers. Whatever time they say it will take it always takes longer. I hope that at least they have now learned that lesson and that this 24-hour downtime is 4 hours work and 20 hours testing/fixing.

Sinaefay

Downtime supposed time and effective time isnt that easy to project. There is always something that can appear at launch time that will make it take longer, no matter how much testing you do 🙂

Argante

24-hours obviously wasn’t long enough, let’s come back next week.

Ryan

On a postive note, theyve announced the update is next week and I cant wait to get in there on Nannabot – especially the EE content as im sure i read somewhere its even tougher.

Flavia

[quote]Downtime supposed time and effective time isnt that easy to project.[/quote]

Depends… In the upgrade I mentioned, we had planned thoroughly ( to the minute ) each step. We had a small margin ( 2 hours )… Due to an unforeseen problem ( a whole bunch of data forgotten during the upgrade ) discovered late ( sunday 5PM ) we might have ended up late…
    We just made sure we did deliver on time ( 3 people doing an all nighter to recover the missing data ). If we hadn’t encountered that problem we would have done the whole upgrade in the planned time. ( instead of ending up using the 2 hours margin time )

Telco are good at planning things.
    In the worst case scenario, we do a blank operation and time it, and that’s the time that will be used when it comes to do it on live systems.

Domend

Ah well its a shame we missed our guild raids due to this . Anyway for those that might have missed it :

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=408053

At least this is a nice move .

CaT

Yeah, not bad, but it’s amazing how long this maintenance can take :/ At least f it would have been to correct the bugs 🙂

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The Spellswords | Dungeons & Dragons Online | Ghallanda Server | Read about us