Home Forums Tricks and Tactics DEX based staff build

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Grugno

Hello swords,

For next life I would try a DEX based staff build.
    I have Sireth and Dreampiercer fully upgraded, Stout Oak, Backstabber gloves and other useful stuff. 36 pts build.
    Race ShadarKai – don’t like halflings… only kobolds πŸ˜‰

I was thinking of Rog13/Mnk6/Ftr1 + Shadowdancer ED (maybe I’ll try also Divine Crusader), dropping PA and all strenght-based feats.

Highlights:
    23d6 SA
    Attack speed + Doublestrike (Grandmaster of wind)
    DEX ~ 60
    Max Dodge
    Ninja fade
    High AC
    2x haste boost + extra boosts

Feats:
    Dodge
    Sneak of Shadows
    Mobility
    Combat expertise
    Spring Attack
    Whirlwind Attack
    Improved feint
    Precision
    Master of Forms
    Improved critical bludgeoning
    Grandmaster of Forms

I’m very uncertain about feats…
    I’ve read that improved feint only works properly with handwraps, and I don’t know how calculate DC.
    Whirlwind attack also seems unworthy, but I never tried.
    Finally, I have doubts about Sneak of Shadows.

Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance πŸ™‚

Legend

Would forget Sneak of Shadows and most of the whirwind attack line, would look as 2 handed and cleave feats instead, but will need PA.
    Blitzing with the speed of these attacks will be very impressive.

Grugno

Could start with 13 STR (+4 tome) and replace Sneak of Shadows, Mobility, Spring Attack, Whirlwind Attack, Combat Extpertise, Improved Feint with:
    – PA
    – Cleave
    – Great Cleave
    – THF
    – Improved THF
    – Greater THF

Anyway, not enough STR for Overwhelming Critical if going max DEX.

In your opinion, a classic STR/CHA BF staff build (rog/mnk/pal or rog/mnk/fvs) would be more effective?

Legend

I would try first the dex build you are going with, the enhancements obviously push you in this direction too, minimise str so can get the feats only, the thf line should be very nice with Sireth and glancing blow effects, Cleave and G Cleave is nice with leg Dread when soloing – big damage.

Forget overwhelming anyway, the enhancements lines more than make up for.

1 lvl of Pally is useless, not sure if 1 lvl of fvs would give you anything useful! if need the feats fighter prob best.

btw Shadar-Kai chain abil is rubbish, if you were going this race in part for this abil.

Also get some prr aswell as the 25%+ dodge, ring if sheltering +24 and trinket of prowess with Sireth +15 stack and make a nice little difference when wearing robes.

Improved Feint is not too bad, max bluff and also get a +20 item for it, you can prob live without this though as you will need to fit back in combat expertise, gives you another feat slot anyway!

Grugno

1 lvl of Pally is useless, not sure if 1 lvl of fvs would give you anything useful! if need the feats fighter prob best.

With STR/CHA, I would go for a BF Rog12/Mnk6/Pal2 (twisting Bane of Undeath) or BF Mnk12/Rog5/FVS3 build.

No chain from Shadar-Kai: only Dex, and maybe improved dodge and guile πŸ˜‰
    Halfling would be probably better, but – as I wrote – I don’t like them πŸ˜›

About PRR, Epic Damage Reduction is it worth it? No need of Blinding speed in form…

Definitely I’ll give this DEX build a try πŸ™‚

Legend

A combo of DR, PRR and Dodge can be very effective, problem is getting the DR to a useful level.

Epic Damage reduction feat would give you an extra 4-5% off damage taken in total, not great but it all adds up, depends what other options you have with epic.

Improved Martial arts prob good one to get, not sure how yuor hp will look either, so toughness and epic toughness might be an option.

Grugno

Mhhhh, the TA capstone post U21 is tempting me…

Legend

I do know someone who tried such a build, attack speed was amazing but the dps may have been lacking, I will ask him his opinion when he next online, might get some do’s and don’t’s.

Grugno

It would be very helpful. Thanks πŸ™‚

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The Spellswords | Dungeons & Dragons Online | Ghallanda Server | Read about us