Home Forums General DDO may be down for a while

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Clarice

seems an issue with the file delivery system for the game, a company has closed down which ddo used. details below

http://slashdot.org/submission/2920035/pando-closes-doors-ddo-and-lotro-go-offline?utm_source=rss1.0&utm_medium=feed&sbsrc=firehose

Clar

Ryan

Any computer wiz care to make a guess on how tjey will resolve this?

Enda

Ouch. I suspect longer term they will transition over to Steam but that isn’t something I imagine they will want to do in a rush/quick fix type scenario. (Assuming Pando is gone for good)

Really hard to say how long the short term fix will be but I’d suggest not holding breath. My understanding is that Pando is really just handling their updates so essentially all that *should* be needed is to essentially skip that process for now and go direct to character authentication but I’ve got no idea whether that can be handled from an option directly in the existing launcher or if some kind of modified launcher will need to be downloaded (likely I suspect).

I’d keep an eye on:
    https://twitter.com/DDOUnlimited

Domend

Yep well seems like there is not gonna be a workaround to login this time we’ll have to let turbine solves this before logging on again. Also i would be prepared for a full reinstall maybe even new downloading files when site is back up.

I have to say though i find it REALLY REALLY crappy of them shutting down their forums just because they are filling with complaints. 10 Days after expansion release where people paid money for it and they are shutting down every communication with their clients its amazingly BAD attitude.

Pando had announced that it would close but ofc Turbine didnt do anything about it. Also one of the reasons there have been login issues for a lot of players right from the beginning of August since Pando only provided basic services and no extra uploading services at that time.

Grugno

I have to say though i find it REALLY REALLY crappy of them shutting down their forums just because they are filling with complaints.

shining example of excellent crisis management… 😛

Clarice

have gotten to log in screen

Mon, 02 Sep 2013 01:05:46 +0000
    We are working with our provider to mitigate an external connection issue that is preventing some players from logging in. Thanks for your patience!

Portilis

The forums have been on and off all day, they’ve not shut them down due to complaints (in fact I’m on them right now), it just seems that they’re having issues with them as well.

My guess would be that they ~did~ put something in place to deal with Pando vanishing, but with less than a month’s notice it would have been a hurried fix and therefore has failed to work as expected.

Flavia

ok, I have to debunk quite a few things/

– Pando is a peer to peer distribution software, nothing more.
    – Pando going under has no impact on DDO except that it might be difficult to find the installation files to download for a new installation.
    ( I have them in High Resolution, if Nath is willing to give the space ( several Gigabytes ) I can store them on the website )
    – I have been playing for a long time without Pando being installed, so it’s proof it has no impact on the game.
    – The problem with DDO started with the DDO authentication server not responding and extended slowly to all the games and servers of Turbine.
    – The traceroute and other investigations I4ve seen and/or made points to a failure in Turbine’s network, it can be a router, a switch or a loadbalancer ( or the three in a single box which is more probable )

I repeat :
    Pando bankrupcy has no impact on the game itself.
    Pando has only an impact on the game distribution ( and you can still get it from Steam ).

This was Flavia’s 5 minutes of debunking.

Clarice

debunking possibly, but if the game needs to check with pando that you are updated and it isn’t there could that not cause a failure?

Wish

seems to be working again

Flavia

Just trust me on that one Clar, I work as a Support Engineer for IP/Broadband/a Few other things for Ericsson, and I’ve used some of my tools ( wireshark among other things ) to look at what DDO do.

Pando is involved only during the game installation.
    Pando is not involved in game update.
    There is no request made to Pando by DDO.
    ( there’s some made to Google, and a few other third parties though )

Edit : If it was in France, if it was an Ericsson Router that went AWOL I would probably be one of the person on site screaming at the thing instead of posting here.

CaT

Flavia is correct, Cordovan replied that Pando going down had no impact whatsoever on the server outage earlier today.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The Spellswords | Dungeons & Dragons Online | Ghallanda Server | Read about us