Home Forums General 1440 monitors

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Ryan

Hello all.

Ive bought a new PC and was wondering if its worth running DDO at 1440? Do the hotbars scale up or will they be too small to see?

Ta

Esit added… my current monitor is very old and only capable of running it at 1080 so I would need to buy a new monitor to run at 1440. I dont mind buying a new one as long as 1440 is worth it.
    Ive not even thought about 4k /144hz at this point as Im a bit out of touch with the monitor scene.

Sinaefay

Im running 2560 x 1440 and I enjoy it alot.

Dragavon

I am running in 2560X1600 on a 30″ Dell monitor, and it is well worth it. The hotbars does not scale up, but for me my resolution works very well.

Smaller hotbars does let you see much more of the game 🙂

Ispepxam

Same as the other chaps I run DDO at 2560×1440 and it’s nice because of all the extra space it gives me to see the game without hotbars, etc. in the way.

Having the second monitor for Teamspeak, DDO wiki and spellswords forum is also nice if your budget can stretch to twin monitors 🙂

I’d love to show you a screenshot of my game screen, but don’t know how to add it here…

Edit: worked it out… This is one of my mules, so hence the hotbars are empty, but I use the same layout for all my toons

2560 1440

Furiyen

Going up to 1440 is a nice boost for DDO, tbh. Since the aspect ratio is the same, if you get a physically larger monitor than you do get more actual playing area to work with while the hotbars and so on maintain their size.

If you only ever play DDO – don’t bother with Gsync/Freesync/144hz or any other gubbins. A decent brand 28″+ 60hz 1440p IPS panel will do DDO justice and won’t cost you your first born. A good quality, recent mid range card like the Geforce 1060 should also be able to drive that resolution at 60 FPS to get the full benefit of 60hz.

If you do want to play FPS style games, particularly online and competitively, then that’s where 144hz and things like Gsync come into play and offer some tangible benefit. Don’t forget you also need a Graphics card capable of pushing that 1440p resolution at 144 frames per second in order to maximise the refresh rate advantage of 144hz, and that’s Radeon Vega of Gefore 1080 territory.

I have the Asus ROG Swift 28″ 1440P IPS 144hz Gsync monitor, and while it has everything going for it, it also cost me the earth at just shy of £700. I also have a Gefore 1080Ti card to drive the FPS for it, again that was just shy of £700. Easy to see how my rig cost £3K when I built in October last year.

Hope that helps.

Ryan

Cheers for the replies chaps.

I guess higher res is the way to go. I’ll have to have a look in a shop somewhere to see the difference between 60hz and 144hz and judge if its worth the difference to me visually and do some research into if my gpu can run it. Also I would only want to spend £250 max on a monitor

Can DDO be run at 4K 144hz?
    Will I need to set the vsync or frame rate thingy in the Adv Graphics options when my new machine arrives?

Ta

Furiyen

Yes, it can. Just ensure Vsync is disabled in options, enable the framerate counter in DDO itself and you should see it hit the framerate cap of your Monitor. Ideally you’d want some kind of Sync (Freesync/Gsync) tech in the monitor and Gcard to prevent screen tearing, which is handled in the Gcard driver options.

I have to stress, 144hz is not worth it for DDO alone. There’s practically no difference, and you’ll still get the same stutter & momentary pauses as everyone when lag spikes hit or the engine can’t keep up with whats going on.

I also play Destiny 2 & Overwatch as well as DDO, where the 144Hz and Gsync shine.

1440p/2K works well at 28″+. If you go for 4K, I recommend a 30″+ Monitor. And there isn’t a humanely priced 4K/144Hz/Synctech Monitor & Gcard combo available at present for the games out there that would use it – your talking 1080Ti SLI (£1400) to drive that properly and its severely overkill for DDO.

Let’s put things in perspective: https://www.anandtech.com/bench/GPU17/1953

That’s for Total War: Warhammer, but it shows you what Gcards and what framerates your achieving in 2K. Even at 2K, a single 1080 Ti doesn’t hit the 144hz framerate cap on average.

Ryan

Cheers for the extra info Matt.

I guess 4K isnt for me then as I wont have SLI’d 1080Ti’s and I pretty much only play DDO these days.

I assume something lik this monitor will be ok?
    https://www.overclockers.co.uk/aoc-q2778vqe-27-2560×1440-tn-widescreen-led-monitor-black-mo-031-ao.html

I cant check the max frame rate yet as my new one hasnt arrived – probably delayed by the fact thats whilst its been in pre production Ive changed the spec 6 or 7 times since I ordered it.

Furiyen

Monitor looks good – I would recommend an IPS panel monitor, better colour and viewing angles, but again it’s another price premium that’ll add 100-150 to the price.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The Spellswords | Dungeons & Dragons Online | Ghallanda Server | Read about us