Home Forums General What to do with Mephas

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Flavia

Those that were in Velah ( and on Ts ) yesterday knows it. I intend to TR Mephas

Since TR is not something I’m doing every week ( so far : Gildana from Cleric to Druid, Xantine from Monk Druid and Meaaphas from Wizard to warlock… the last two ones still leveling ), I’m fishing for ideas.

The whole point is while Mephas was a Thing twin in his old days, TinCan Barbarians is not effective anymore…actually it’s more an hindrance than anything else. ( thanks to all that put up with his gimpyness beyond what I’m usually able to do ). So now I need an idea of what to do with him.
    I have no bias, for PnP reasons I tend to play mostly Elves, but Mephas is a DDO Specific Character ( meaning that he only has very loose ties to Tenalafel’s Family and said ties are specific to DDO, like Mill used to be a Neverwinter Night Specific Character ( if you want details ask Fermi, he is more than half guilty for Mill 😉 ) )

Any suggestions ? ( I’ll probably as the question to The Cesspool too [because they give good hints on efficient builds without giving it on a plate]… but that’s for tomorrow )

Sthax

Hey Flav

it really depends on what you want to do with the character. Are you aiming for Raids or just some fun play.
    There are allot of options to consider, any class can be viable but it heavily depends on your play style.

do you want to be the front runner and crash into the mobs head first, or want to pew pew at a save distance, want to support the party or tank the big bosses?

Also solo viable or more group play?

Flavia

well Raids and Fun…

I’m not a zerger, While Flav and Blackie can deal with Epic/Legendary Elite, it feels too much like work.

and my play style should be obvious : relaxed (always), drunk (lots of time, especially in Raids), and playing for fun. (if it wasn’t fun I wouldn’t play… I’d find another way to have fun)

Said another way : more than half my Altaholic stable is made from characters that have a real paper character sheet tucked somewhere in my PnP character sheet binder. ( 30+ years of PnP do that ). Mephas is not one of them, he’s completely specific to DDO, so he’s a joker, I don’t have a template to try to fit him in.

Solo ( but nowadays it’s not that hard to solo ) or grouped… it doesn’t matter.

Just remember : I’ve been at it since DDO came out of Beta ( give or take a month ), I can do anything low/mid level on Elite Sleeping because I drank too much whisky. ( I’d have a harder time with anything above LVL 20… but for some that’s debatable, well that’s metagame anyway… I’m not going to run through traps I can avoid )

Sthax

In that case i’d say go for a DruNk hybrid 😉

By Fun i ment for shit n giggles, instead of a serious raid build.
    There are lots of builds that are pretty fun and effective.

– great Xbow Rogue
    – Terror XBow Rogue
    – Warlock Tank
    – Necro Wiz
    – your regular Ranger
    – Tree build
    – wolf builds
    – 14+ palladins in general
    -IceBard

I find myself running shield mastery builds alot lately. Spam some hellballs and other spells while having a good Hp pool and 250 PRR. Its nog a high dmg but it gets me to 30 as i’m on a completionist TR Tour. Just done a 11 arti/4pally/5 wiz just because i didn’t want to use that *kploink**kploink**kploink* bow. Dps was a bit on the low side. but it was really playable especially in groups. Now trying a 12 sorc/5 lock /3 fvs

I also understand your a Barb, i had some fun on my barb while it lasted. It was very effective 18barb,1cleric,1warlock. problem is they are very one dimentional.

In short pick you poison and have a go at it. if you dont like it you can always TR again.
    I’m still thinking of a Dwarven defender type with a shit ton of retribution/deathaura items was allot of fun just standing there in NWN.

well hope this got you some ideas. Happy to help theorycraft some build if you got a direction.

Cheers,
    Sth*x

Ryan

Hello Flav

I have done a different class or two on Corazon and was going to add my bit, but then saw you wanted a build for Epics.

Considering I havent run “endgame” in a long time Im not the person to give advice on Epic builds.

Instead I would ask you what is this “fun” that you speak of?
    This game shouldn’t be fun, it should be a past time in which you are driven to gaining as many PLs as possible before they pull the plug 🙂

Fair play that you’re still having fun after all this time. I see it more as a second job in which I have to grind out PLs.
    Luckily I have Chris (G) to keep me sane

Good luck with your TR

Flavia

lol

Well, as stated previously, I’m not in the stacking PL business.
    ( I can’t with 3 characters that are in 2nd Life and with no intention to TR them )

I suspect it all boils down to being an old PnP hand ( 30 years+ and counting despite the fact that I haven’t played a game for the last 7ish years )

in PnP character progression is slow… very slow… So in DDO when you reach Cap, there’s still lots of things to do. ( with Blackie’n’Flav at least )

I want to have fun… Levelling Mephas from 26ish to 30 was a chore ( and I ended piking him, because Eraenae is sooo much more fun to play, despite being a second account piking gimp )

Rogue is out : between Blackie ( Mechanic, with TF and bows ), Tenalafel ( Assassin ) and Eraenae ( Crossbow Mechanic ) I have all the rogues I want.

warlock, Too much gimps to work on… I have one on the way.

Necro Wiz : Sylphae ( yes I know, it’s The Monday Group Character )
    The whole issue with wizards ( and sorcerors ) is that while it was nice in PnP, I can’t build anything decent in DDO ( even Syl is gimped, but well 28 pointer, and all )
    I tried numerous wiz… Last one Meaaphas… I just can’t get one to be semi decent.
    Wolves : got two, one gimp one that needs items.

The issue is Altaholism… Have tried a lots of things, I have characters that covers a lot of Builds ( in a more or less gimped way ).
    I’m seeking new stuff ( typically I haven’t done much Paladin thingies… it’s a matter of opportunity and character idea for me… and Paladin didn’t have any appeal [ except for the Pas Ladin thing [ ok, only Fermi will understand that one, the other French Spekers in Guild might get the Obvious Joke, but not the underlying Private Joke ] )

anyway if you have build ideas bring them on… I might reason them out or use them ( I’ll also have Yaelle at some point, but she’s going to be a more dificult case as she is based on a PnP NPC )

Sinaefay

– Artificer (any race)
    – Fighter Kensei (any race)
    – Fighter Vanguard (any race)
    – Paladin Knight of the Chalice (bladeforged or any race)
    – Ranger Archer (either AA or Deepwood Stalker T5/Capstone)

To mention five on the top of my head

Ryan

If you’re not in a rush to Reincarnate I have just TR’d Corazon into a Cleric with the intention of going full caster Divine Disciple/ Radiant Servant – Light path to mid level the Dark path later with the intention of NOT being a blade barrier spewing dungeon zerg bot.

I’ll let you know how it turns out if you havent TR’d

Edit added…..

I took Corazon to 30 as a Juggy when 30 became the cap.
    Juggs are a bit old school, but I had lots of fun. Bows, Two handers, locks and traps kept things interesting

Flavia

ok, decided to go the Bladeforged Pas-Ladin ( the French will understand, those in the know will lol ) way.

here is what I’m considering ( not taking into account the tomes he might have ) :

Mephas
    Level 30 Lawful Good Bladeforged Male
    (20 Paladin \ 10 Epic)
    Hit Points: 430
    Spell Points: 0
    BAB: 20\20\25\30\30
    Fortitude: 25
    Reflex: 10
    Will: 10

Starting Feat/Enhancement
    Abilities Base Stats Modified Stats
    (32 Point) (Level 1) (Level 30)
    Strength 18 27
    Dexterity 6 6
    Constitution 16 16
    Intelligence 8 8
    Wisdom 6 6
    Charisma 16 20

Starting Feat/Enhancement
    Base Skills Modified Skills
    Skills (Level 1) (Level 30)
    Balance -5 3
    Bluff 0 15
    Concentration 0 13
    Diplomacy 0 15
    Disable Device n/a n/a
    Haggle 0 15
    Heal 4 31
    Hide -5 3
    Intimidate 0 15
    Jump -5 13
    Listen 0 8
    Move Silently -5 3
    Open Lock n/a n/a
    Perform n/a n/a
    Repair 0 12
    Search 0 9
    Spellcraft 0 9
    Spot 0 8
    Swim -10 8
    Tumble n/a n/a
    Use Magic Device n/a n/a

Level 1 (Paladin)
    Feat: (Selected) Adamantine Body
    Feat: (Deity) Follower of the Lord of Blades

Level 2 (Paladin)

Level 3 (Paladin)
    Feat: (Selected) Two Handed Fighting

Level 4 (Paladin)

Level 5 (Paladin)

Level 6 (Paladin)
    Feat: (Selected) Power Attack

Level 7 (Paladin)

Level 8 (Paladin)

Level 9 (Paladin)
    Feat: (Selected) Improved Critical: Slashing Weapons

Level 10 (Paladin)

Level 11 (Paladin)

Level 12 (Paladin)
    Feat: (Selected) Improved Two Handed Fighting

Level 13 (Paladin)

Level 14 (Paladin)

Level 15 (Paladin)
    Feat: (Selected) Greater Two Handed Fighting

Level 16 (Paladin)

Level 17 (Paladin)

Level 18 (Paladin)
    Feat: (Selected) Weapon Focus: Slashing Weapons

Level 19 (Paladin)

Level 20 (Paladin)

Level 21 (Epic)
    Feat: (Selected) Epic: Overwhelming Critical

Level 22 (Epic)

Level 23 (Epic)

Level 24 (Epic)
    Feat: (Selected) Power Critical

Level 25 (Epic)

Level 26 (Epic)
    Feat: (Epic Destiny) Primal Sphere: Perfect Two Handed Fighting

Level 27 (Epic)
    Feat: (Selected) Weapon Focus: Bludgeoning Weapons

Level 28 (Epic)
    Feat: (Epic Destiny) Primal Sphere: Perfect Two Weapon Fighting

Level 29 (Epic)
    Feat: (Epic Destiny) Martial Sphere: Dire Charge

Level 30 (Epic)
    Feat: (Selected) Epic: Epic Damage Reduction
    Feat: (Legendary) Scion of Arborea
    Enhancement: Bladeforged – Improved Fortification (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Bladeforged – Mechanist (Rank 3)
    Enhancement: Bladeforged – Communion of Scribing (Rank 2)
    Enhancement: Bladeforged – Great Weapon Aptitude (Rank 2)
    Enhancement: Knight of the Chalice (Pal) – Slayer of Evil I (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Knight of the Chalice (Pal) – Courage of Heaven (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Knight of the Chalice (Pal) – Slayer of Evil II (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Knight of the Chalice (Pal) – Improved Courage of Heaven (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Knight of the Chalice (Pal) – Slayer of Evil III (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Knight of the Chalice (Pal) – Champion of Good (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Knight of the Chalice (Pal) – Extra Turning (Rank 3)
    Enhancement: Knight of the Chalice (Pal) – Extra Smite (Rank 2)
    Enhancement: Knight of the Chalice (Pal) – Divine Might (Rank 3)
    Enhancement: Knight of the Chalice (Pal) – Exalted Cleave (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Knight of the Chalice (Pal) – Action Boost: Melee/Ranged Power (Rank 3)
    Enhancement: Knight of the Chalice (Pal) – Divine Sacrifice (Rank 3)
    Enhancement: Knight of the Chalice (Pal) – Exalted Smite (Rank 3)
    Enhancement: Knight of the Chalice (Pal) – Strength (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Knight of the Chalice (Pal) – Censure Demons (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Knight of the Chalice (Pal) – Empowered Smite (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Knight of the Chalice (Pal) – Strength (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Knight of the Chalice (Pal) – Censure Outsiders (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Knight of the Chalice (Pal) – Avenging Cleave (Rank 3)
    Enhancement: Sacred Defender (Pal) – Holy Bastion (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Sacred Defender (Pal) – Sacred Defense (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Sacred Defender (Pal) – Item Defense (Rank 3)
    Enhancement: Sacred Defender (Pal) – Extra Lay on Hands (Rank 3)
    Enhancement: Sacred Defender (Pal) – Resilient Defense (Rank 3)
    Enhancement: Sacred Defender (Pal) – Sacred Armor Mastery (Rank 3)
    Enhancement: Sacred Defender (Pal) – Durable Defense (Rank 3)
    Enhancement: Sacred Defender (Pal) – Strong Defense (Rank 3)
    Enhancement: Sacred Defender (Pal) – Swift Defense (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Sacred Defender (Pal) – Hardy Defense (Rank 3)

Ryan

Ive never taken Weapon Focus on any of my Paladins and never missed having it.

Unless its a pre req for something in Epics perhaps something else would be more useful? Perhaps FoP?

Edit added.

I cant remember if Communion of Scribing can be quickened – but a feat for one SLA is a bit of a waste when you can use Lays for those hairy moments and the SLA for top ups.

Edit 2 added.

Although if you’re running the hardest content (and if it can be quickened) a no fail heal is probably worth the feat.

Edit 3 added.

Further to my earlier post just for info, my Cleric Divine disciple life was insanely easy.
    Not sure it would be so good in Epics though due to HP inflation and Evo/ Necro saves.

Edit 4 added.

No Holy Retribution? In Heroics this is practically a room clearer.

Sinaefay

If you ever plan to run Mephas in any elite quest after level 20, you will want to have quicken spell. The only time Ive seen bladeforged die, is because they couldnt cast communion of scribing fast enough due to getting interrupted or just casting it too slowly.

Beyond that it looks solid. I would probably take blinding speed instead of the weapon focus at l27, but as communion of scribing will make you hasted as well, it is just a preference.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The Spellswords | Dungeons & Dragons Online | Ghallanda Server | Read about us