Home Forums General Warlock build

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Ryan

This build is now outdated.

Please see link below for latest build

https://www.spellswords.com/forums/topic/corazons-dc-lock-build/

Im posting this for a Guildy who is currently running a Warlock, but perhaps others may find it useful

Below is a build that I followed for Corazon

H) Empower
    1) Maximise
    3) PL Wiz
    6) Quicken
    9) SF Ench (Completionist if available)
    12) PL Bard
    15) Heighten
    18) SF Necro

Fey pact

My character has a few Past Lives so I didn’t bother taking Evo feats.

Point to note – whilst looking in the Wiki for info to help me write this post I noticed it says that Warlocks get a special ability at L6 and L15 – I don’t actually remember seeing mine so they either weren’t there or I wasn’t looking hard enough.

I wanted Maximise and Empower first so I could boost my SLAs – however there aren’t any in the Tainted Scholar tree at low level so I used them to boost my Wizzy PL Magic Missiles. I could swap them for Spell Focus feats but I found all my spells landing without issue anyway.

PL Wiz – 10 freebie magic missiles (that can be meta’d at no extra cost) works very well at low levels and the +1 DC and +6 Spell Pen (I have 3 Wiz PLs) is good enough for me to not have to take any Spell Pen feats in Heroic.

I actually took Quicken at L12 but in future builds I will take it at Level 6, the reason being that there are a few spells I didn’t use because the Eldritch blasts are so good that casting un-Quickened spells was just slowing me down. The extra SP cost doesn’t matter as Warlocks just don’t need to use much SP beyond buffing.

I went down the Enchant route for the next couple of Feats as I was Fey Pact and the last two feats at 15 and 18 are self-explanatory.

I went Tainted Scholar tree up to L12 and then switched to Enlightened Spirit.

I would recommend that you always have the best “element of lore” items you can get – they are very pricey to buy on the AH at the moment, but they do drop in chests.
    You can craft your own non lore sticks if your crafting skills allow (I didn’t bother crafting element of lore)
    42 – ML2
    48 – ML4
    54 – ML6
    60 – ML8
    66 – ML10

Tainted Scholar (TS)
    Pre L12 – take “chain blasts” as soon as you can as this will allow you to clear groups of mobs in seconds. I personally put nearly everything in this tree pre L12 to bump my DPS – I might have put some points in Soul Eater but found that bumping the DPS via TS to be good enough. I ran Force and Resonance caster sticks

Enlightened Spirit (ES)
    At L12 I switched into ES – I put only enough points in TS to get Utter-dark Blast which allows me to change my Force damage into Evil (alignment based) allowing me to switch to Radiance and Sonic caster sticks

Radiance boosts Evil hence my eldritch blast damage. It also boosts my ES burst damage which is Light. Sonic boosts my Pact damage. In a nutshell taking Utter dark blast allows me to reduce the amount of elements I need to boost from 3 to 2.

The bursts from Enlightened Spirit will one or two shot whole groups of mobs right up until you cap. There are two manually cast bursts and one that converts your eldritch blast shape into a pulsing aura around you. I pretty much ran with the pulsing aura all the time as I tended to just round up mobs and burst them – trying to aim blasts whilst kiting is just too much hard work

Healing is quite poor on a Warlock, however this is not an issue because
    1) You will kill everything so fast that its rare mobs get a chance to really damage you
    2) The Warlock is literally showered with UMD so will be able to use scrolls, wands etc – I ended up with my UMD in the high 50’s at L18
    3) The Enlightened Spirit Tier 5 temp hit points spell will give you enough of a HP buffer to carry you through everything – at L12 you will have around 900HPs using this spell. The cool down is fairly short so you can re cast it often.

The only weakness I found in the way I ran mine was single target DPS (boss fights). Because I predominantly used bursts and aura I ended up having to circle around the Bosses staying close enough for my aura and bursts to hit. Aimed Eldritch blasting might be better but (with my build) I couldn’t tank bosses so I would have to backwards kite which would make firing off my bursts close enough to the Boss quite tricky

I’ve ran one or two casters in DDO and based on my own experience I would say that the Warlock is the easiest to level by far compared to the other classes

It doesn’t quite have the brute force DPS of a Water Savant
    My build (because of the way I built it) didn’t have rock solid Necro DCs of a PM
    It lacks the insta-kill, CC and support of a Druid

However the non SP sustained DPS output across all levels of the game makes it (again in my opinion) a rock solid performer

This is based on my experience in Heroics only as I never took mine into Epics

If anyone has any questions or comments please feel free

Molfein

Hi Ryan,

Thanks for putting your Warlock build up.

I decided to go Drow for extra CHA and mis out the extra feat. Gyolnir is PL Fighter so will slot in some spell feats and toughness.

Regarding weapons, have some with Red slots for Resonace or impulse augments or can craft as required. Also have some named Radiance items, so will look to use those after L12 with Utterdark blast. Thanks for tips.

Am really enjoying Warlock as ranged and Chain Eldritch is great for mobs.
    Only drawback for solo (imho) is the lack of trapping, but then used to my Arti alts 🙂

Cheers,
    G

PS Yet to level to 6, but wil pay attention to levelling and let you know about the special ability!

Ryan

Hello Chris

You’re welcome for the build.

I wouldn’t bother with Toughness – at low level its only a measly amount of HP and at higher levels you will have the temporary hit-point boosting spell that outweighs it tenfold (its 15x your Cha score iirc)

If I were in your shoes I would think about the following –

Maximise
    Empower
    SF Enchant
    Quicken
    Heighten
    Spell Pen
    GSF Enchant

At higher levels (L16/ 17 ish) put just enough points into TS to get Crushing Despair and use it for group de-buffing. You can use Enervation (or perhaps it was Energy Drain) for single target De-buffs. Make sure you always wear a +2 Necro and +2 Enchant item (I think mine were on a ring and a set of bracers) – it means a bit of min-maxxing but you’ll have a greater chance of landing your spells and not having to mess about swapping gear. You can go full DC build but that requires heavy investment in TS – perhaps that route and the CC it offers is a good option in Epics but in Heroics the ES bursts are (imo) just too good to give up.
    However, all that being said, you won’t be doing too much casting as your DPS will just pulverise everything anyway. The only time I really used Mass Holds was in the Vale whilst PuGging and that was for the benefit of everyone else.

Re. Trapping, hopefully Gylonir and Corazon will level at the same rate meaning I will be able to do the trap work for you (and with your high UMD you can rez me when I die in them J )
    Corazon is now Level 6 – I now have Maximise, Empower and finally Quicken so I have switched over to a “Castificer” (no point in running a heavy repeater when a fully meta’d 7SP Blast Rod SLA one shots entire rooms J

Let me know what caster sticks you need – I can loan you them as you level up.

Oh, and thanks in advance re. the L6 and L15 abilities.

Rgds

Ryan

Ryan

I thought I would post my gear list from L15.

Helm – Minos
    Trinket – Vibrant Purple Ioun Stone/ VoM
    Neck – Sages (a must have as you are Fey)
    Cloak – Named Cha +6 cloak
    Belt – Guardians (+40 HP)
    Ring – Necro +2
    Gloves – Guardians (+8 Con)
    Boots – Boots of the Innocent
    Ring – Dodge
    Bracers – Enchant +2
    Armour – Blue dragon scale
    Goggles – I forget

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The Spellswords | Dungeons & Dragons Online | Ghallanda Server | Read about us