Home Forums Creative Corner THF Paladin Gear Layout

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Furiyen

Hi All,

Back in March before I stopped playing for a while I enjoyed my Paladin THF character a great deal, but often lamented at the lack of HP and his general survivability outside of being able to stun stuff.

So when I came back to the game for Ravenloft, and an ESOS-Swinging-Aasimar-Paladin-Angel-of-Death, I wanted to completely refocus on what makes a Paladin great and take the ‘all or nothing’ approach over its greatest assets.

To me, when run Pure, a THF Paladin does the following things:

– DPS through Critical Hits – Exalted Smite
    – AoE DPS – KotC Cleaves and Holy Retribution
    – Soak-based Defense – Lots of PRR and HP, Great saves
    – Fantastic Self-healing – Great Heal Amp, LoH, CSW
    – Great Utility – All three Raise spells and high UMD

Maximising these areas means I’m running 20 Paladin in Unyielding Sentinal full time, and doing everything to push what the advantages of playing a Paladin can bring. Regenerating Exalted Smites, Regenerating Holy Retribution / DM, Regenerating LoHs & Healing Hands, +50% to HP Pool etc etc.

I’ve deliberately stayed away from Tactics in this build. Paladins do have huge amounts of strength to power tactics, but then they run out of steam – no enhancements or feats to really support taking tactics. Unless they are a Vanguard build, but this isn’t a Vanguard build 🙂

My ‘Want’ list is basically:

– Strength, Constitution, Charisma, Wisdom
    – Melee Speed / Deadly / Doublestrike / Armour Piercing
    – PRR, more PRR and even more PRR
    – MRR, more MRR and even more MRR
    – HP, Heal Amp, Devotion SP
    – Saves, Avoidance, Striding

What I came up with is the following:

Armour: Platemail of the Celestial Avenger
    Helmet: CC Wis +15, Spellsight +22, Ins MRR +18
    Goggles: LegGS +70HP
    Bracers: Leg Lore-Fueled Packbanner
    Gloves: Molten Silver Gauntlets
    Boots: Cerulean Guard
    Belt: SL – Str +17, Saves +14, Tendon Slice 15%, Quality PRR +11
    Cloak: Leg Mantle of Fury
    Necklace: SL – Cha +17, Devotion 185, Heal +22, Quality MRR +11
    Ring 1: Leg Ring of Power
    Ring 2: Leg Ring of Prowess
    Trinket: Bloodrage Chrism
    Sets Completed – Slave Lords 3 Piece Set

Which gives me the following:
    Str +17, Qua +4 (Ins Str via DM)
    Con +19, Ins +9
    Cha +17, Ins +2
    Wis +15, Ins +2

Melee Speed 15%, Striding 30%
    Dstrike +23, Ins +10%, Qua +4%, Profane +10%
    Armour Pierce +32%, Ins +13%
    Deadly +16, Accuracy +28, Tendon Slice

PRR +50, Ins +22, Qua +11
    MRR +46, Ins +18, Qua +11
    HP +40, Ins +28, Qua +14, Profane +28, Vitality +20
    Heal Amp 83%
    Devotion 185, Heal Skill +22, Angelic Grace

Saves +14, Ins +8, Luck +2
    Prot AC +14, Ins +8, Natural +8
    Fortification 160%, Blurry 20%, Dodge 19% (Capped at 14%)

There’s a couple of spots where I’ve duplicated effects, and my boots being a swap slot only loses me a little AC and PRR with this setup, but I can’t see any other way of improving it to fit all of this in.

What am I missing? Ghostly, a Ravenloft set, Qua Con, Profane Stats, Reaper Stats on Helmet, Insight Fortification….

So, suggestions welcome!

Sinaefay

I’ve found that divine crusader is really good for a paladin, as sentinel more or less only brings survival and very little dps. I only use sentinel on my tank.

I dont know what he has in doublestrike without logging in, but it is high and he has over 200 in PRR, 2100 hp in reaper (atm only 10 reaper points), and a reliable stun with dire charge. He never runs out of divine might due to regenerating turns, and consecration ground gives good healing and dps to him and his party members.

He has twisted in momentum swing and lay waste, as well as legendary tactics, dragonhide and rejuvenating cocoon.

Gear-wise I went with the following:

Head: Legendary Executioner’s Helm – Insightful Deception +7/11, Relentless Fury, Seeker 17, Quality Combat Mastery +4, Green Augment Slot ()

Neck: Legendary Greensteel – HP set, Unconcious range-healing

Trinket: Bloodrage Chrism – Healing Amplification +83, Calamitous Blows, Rune-fueled Warding, Unnatural, Blue Augment Slot (), Green Augment Slot ()

Goggles: Legendary Greensteel – HP set, Acid resistance

AM Bracers: Bracers of the Fallen Hero – Strength +19, Insightful Constitution +9, Stunning +22, Quality Physical Sheltering +12, Green Augment Slot ()

Armour: Platemail of the Celestial Avenger – +13 Enhancement Bonus, Fortification +159%, Quality Doublestrike 4%, Parrying +7/14, Sheltering +38, Blurry, Deathblock IX, Angelic Grace, Blue Augment Slot, Green Augment Slot

AM Cloak: Mantle of Fury – Constitution +19, Raging Resilience, Doublestrike +22, Dodge +19%, Green Augment Slot ()

AM Belt: Vistani Fighter’s Sash – Stunning +22, Vertigo +22, Vitality +67, Deadly +16, Yellow Augment Slot ()

AM Gloves: Gauntlets of Innate Arcanum – Charisma +19, Evocation Focus +8, Quality Charisma +4, Wizardry +412, Yellow Augment Slot ()

AM Boots: Fleetfoot Greaves – Freedom of Movement, Speed +30%, Natural Armor Bonus +19, Reflex Saves +16, Yellow Augment Slot ()

Ring1: (Spell critical: Positive Lore 23, Spellpower: Devotion 159, Ability: Insightful Charisma 7)

Ring2: Legendardy Chains of Wisdom +17, Resistance +14, Intimidate +22, Quality Constitution +4

He has the Adherent of the Mist set giving him:

+20 Profane Bonus to Physical Resistance Rating.
    +20 Profane Bonus to Positive, Negative, and Repair Healing Amplification
    +10 Profane Bonus to Melee and Ranged Power.
    +20 Profane Bonus to Universal Spell Power.

Just to note some things:

The Legendary Executioner’s Helm from slavers is the best in slot for any melee/ranged dps.

2 legendary shroud items for hp will give you the extra hp you need, allowing you to use a much better destiny than sentinel.

Self healing in reaper is pointless unless you are a cleric, druid or favoured soul. You can easily heal others though, allowing them to heal you. If you only plan to solo ee’s, then it doesnt take much to stay alive once you have the PRR up.

Ryan

Hello Furiyen

One option to swap in (depending on the group you’re in at the time) could be Legendary Fear Gaze. You are after all a walking tin-can turret 😉

It has a nice bit of intim on that item and if you’re questing with me it’ll stop poor old Corazon from getting beaten on like a Piñata

🙂

On a serious note, providing you can get your intim high enough, being able to control mobs can be extremely useful in Reaper quests and any raids.

Furiyen

Interesting thoughts – thanks guys!

Palna

This is what I’m using currently, granting both AoM and KoS set bonus. Should work with THF. My biggest concern with this is the loss of MRR and Heal Amp, but I’ve gained alot of PRR.

Legendary Platemail of the Barovian Lord; Fort 202, Parry 9, PRR 50, profAll 2, Blue: Protection 8
    Legendary Executioner’s Helm; Insightful Deception +7/11, Relentless Fury, Seeker 17, Quality Combat Mastery +4, Green – GotIB
    Legendary Feargaze; Linguistics 10, Intimi 22, iInitimi 11, qIncite 13, Green: Golems
    Legendary Bracers of the Fallen Hero; iCON 9, STR 19, stun 22, qPRR 12, green: ArmorAgility+2
    Legendary Gauntlets of Innate Arcanum; CHA 19, evocation 8, qCHA 4, wizardry 412, yellow: iCHA 2
    Legendary Plateshard Belt; CON 19, Fortitude 16, Incite 59, iIncite 27, Yellow: Poison 10
    Legendary Fleetfoot Greaves; FoM, Speed 30%, NatArmro 19, Reflex 16, Yellow: Dex 8
    Legendary Mantle of Fury; DS 22, Raging resil.4F, CON 19, Dodge 19, Green: WIS 8
    Legendary Pendant of the Warrior’s Focus;  Insightful Combat Mastery +6, Doublestrike 7%, Armor-Piercing – 21%, Insightful Fortitude Save +5, Blue: Goodluck 2
    Legendary Ring of Prowess; Melee power 8, Ranged power 8, Deadly +14, Accuracy +28, Green – Draconic
    Legendary Cursebane Ring; iCurse Res 7, Vitality 67, qMRR 12, Deathblock, Green: Falselife 40
    Legendary Planar Compass; Insightful Physical Sheltering +18, Quality Magical Sheltering +9, Ghostly, Insightful Fortitude Save +5, Green: Resistance 8

Palna

That said, Im gonna farm some Crypt Raider items, only use KoS if need to be a semi-tank. The CR raid trinket would be awesome for you 😬

Furiyen

This is my currently planned gear setup on Azraiyel as a Tank/Aoe DPS style character. I’m not quite their yet with this setup, but almost their.

KoS Armour: Platemail of the Barovian Lord – Armoured Agility +2
    Helmet: CC – Sheltering +38, Resistance +12, Ins PRR +18 – Wisdom +8
    KoS Goggles: Feargaze – Draconic Soul Gem
    Bracers: Lore-Fuelded Packbanner – Sonic Resist 35
    Gloves: Molten Silver Gauntlets – Ins Dex +2, Ins Wis +2
    Boots: Boots of Blessed Travels – Dex +8, Enhancement HP +40
    KoS Belt: Plateshard Belt – Protection AC +8
    Cloak: CC – Charisma +15, Natural AC +15, Ins MRR +18 – Ins Cha +2
    Necklace: SlaveLords – Strength +17, Devotion +185, Heal +22, Qua MRR +11
    Ring 1: EE Ring of Shadows – Vitality HP +20
    Ring 2: Ring of Prowess – GoTIB
    Trinket: Bloodrage Chrism – Good Luck +2, Deathblock

I made a ‘Colossal’ mistake in my previous gear setup in thinking the Cerulean Boots were full Sheltering, but on inspection found out they we’re only Physical Sheltering, and are now in the bin as regards a setup. Back comes in Blessed Travel boots and a Ring of Shadows. This means a loss of Armour Piercing unfortunately, as I liked the extra 13% Armour Piercing from Ring of Power, which for Ravenloft is a loss of Critical DPS with all the Undead running around.

While working on this, I really, really agonised over Bracers between Lore-Fueled Packbanner and the Bracers of a Fallen Hero. 10% Doublestrike on a THF is huge, and I’m not running tactics, but the Fallen Hero ones do nicely slot Strength, Ins Con and Quality PRR. Still, it meant I could bump the Slave Lords to a Sheltering / Qua MRR item. But since 10% Doublestrike is effectively 10% DPS for me, I really couldn’t give it up.

Try as I might I can’t fit in Executioners Helm, not when I need the KoS set. I would love the Melee Power from Adherents set as well, but can’t justify the slots when I get more Profane PRR/MRR from the Chrism Trinket (30 on charm vs. 20 for Set).

The only real swap in needed is Ring of Djinn for RtSO, which replaces Prowess ring – thankfully the Gauntlets cover Deadly, so this is just a loss of Melee Power and some Accuracy. Not really a problem when shield blocking and Intimidating the Dragon.

The setup also cover all my buffs with the exception of GH and True Seeing, both of which I can scroll, and Perma Deathward/FoM is incredibly useful on a Tank with the Sealed soul ability from Knight of the Chalice.

Comments welcome as always! 🙂

catgov

<satire> Where did you get the inspiration for your paladin? Was it from Chris de Burgh’s Crusader, The Knights Who Say Ni, or the father of all paladins Charlemagne? Or maybe some really cool alternative like Dragonbait, or the not so loved and accepted Aribeth de Tylmarande? Please let me know I am dying to know ;(.

Disclaimer: Asking as paladins seem to be too boring for most people lately, Arnt, the guild’s real life paladin rerolled into a disguisting fighter/caster/wall of flesh, many other true paladins seem to have gone under, probably hiding from the painful fact that paladins do no real dps (they do come from time to time and prove you otherwise like Ernst or that Dentharr character and others I can’t think of at this moment – no idea what happened to that Graythe guy… – but its an illusion paladins do no dps and all they do is annoy people with their alignment and stay fabulous attitude). I rerolled my paladin due to the pressure and stress of being unable to kill the elusive Kobold King in the Waterworks. She is fine now as a combat maid. I eagerly await your response!
    </satire>

For some reason I really like teasing you Arl… Matt.

P.S. Spellsinger Bards can self-heal in reaper too Jan.

Legend

I intend to put Graythe back to Pally, it’s nice having the cleric with heal aura for a raid group but the dps is non existent (tis boring), not sure how Wishie does it with his fvs splash! or he is just fooling us all!
    The RL stuff with the Knight set and the Bloodrage Chrism make THF Pallies top tier @ 2 handed fighting and the S+B Tank/DPS r so handy in a group.
    Pallies if built right always did v nice dps on multiple mobs and can stay standing a lot longer than other classes, Pallies in raids have been v solid of late.
    I presume a Sentient ESOS is the weapon of choice now?

Not looked at gear set-up yet, but also believe both Knights and Mist will be hard to fit in, presume too many useful lost abils but will see.

Furiyen

As a rough guide, ESOS is still top tier if your Damage mod is over +260. Between 200 – 260, its the Morninglord Falchion. Below 200, its the Sanctity Greatsword from the Raid, but tbh with its Greater Dispelling problem and its lack of crit-range to feed a Paladin’s Crit abilities your still better off with a Morninglord Falchion.

This only takes into account 0% Fort mobs, and where any additional damage on the weapon works against everything. Despite most things being Undead in Ravenloft with at least 100% Fort, there’s masses of Armour Piercing available if you look in the right places.

I’d really like to get my hands on a Raid Bastard Sword and try Sword & Board with THF feats for AoE DPS still, but despite many attempts I’ve failed at finding an enhancements setup that works for me.

Sinaefay

Im going for Torn, That Which Renders Despair (the great axe from Baba’s Hut raid) for Dentharr, and am using the Night Mother’s great axe until I got the raid axe.

I just went for the Mist set on Denth, I didnt go for the Knight set as Im not too keen to have all that incite.

Furiyen

Incite is definitely vastly increased on the KoS set – It’s far, far easier for me to get and maintain threat-based aggro on Azraiyel than before I had the set permanently equipped.

Torn is an interesting idea, much better than Sanctity in Groups/Raid.

If I’m not mistaken…

Azraiyel with ML Falchion – 14-20/x3, 19-20/x4 = 80% Crit Power

Denthar with Torn – 17-20/x4, 19-20/x5 = 70% Crit Power *1.15 for AP advantage = 80.5% Crit Power, meaning against 100%+ Fort Mobs its just as good as a regular Falchion for Critical Damage and using Paladin Exalted Smite or Holy Retribution abilities.

Very interesting!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The Spellswords | Dungeons & Dragons Online | Ghallanda Server | Read about us