Home Forums Creative Corner Selkie's Story

Tagged: 

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Molfein

Talking with Sinafay has provoked my interest, I have to say. For months now I’ve been rushing around Stormreach doing jobs and tasks for everyone else. Endangering my future for others. Perhaps I should spend time on me. On my past. Why can’t I remember?

Okay, settle down, block out the noise of this tavern and think, Selkie. That’s better. What can you first remember then?

Well there’s the dwarf pulling me from the sea, the sting of salt water and nudge of driftwood. I couldn’t stand; he had to carry me away. How embarrassing! My foot was dragging on the ground!  I can laugh now. I wish it was a handsome warrior who found me! Or perhaps not. No, I think not after all. He had real inner peace. And so good of him to nurse me back to health. And he coped with a bad patient, demanding little madam that you are. With good grace, all through your convalescence. I should look him up again, what was his name … Gleipnir, that was it. A strange name, even for a dwarf. Yes, I’ll definitely find him at the next Spellswords meeting. He can see how his wounded pet has grown! It seems so long ago.

But anyway, back on track.

Can you recall anything before that? Push Selkie, push. Before the dwarf.

What’s that … a light? Lights in the darkness. Red spots of light, shimmering and vague.

Is it a dream. Almost a dream.

But cold too. So cold, I can’t feel anything.

The lights drifting away.

Just cold and darkness and silence.

Floating away. No, not floating. Sinking, I’m sinking. You’re sinking aren’t you? In the sea.

But not swimming. Just tiny specks of light, how deep are you?

Not swimming up. Sinking.

The terror of cold darkness and vice-like grip.

Did you drown? Am I dead? No. Absolutely no! My heart beats, my blood flows.

Not dead, definitely not dead. I’ve slain enough undead to know I’m not like them. But I didn’t breathe. Or wasn’t breathing. Or breathing so slowly, from the cold? But breathing … breathing water, maybe.

Was that it? Breathing water. How did I do that? Magic? But I’m no wizard or sorcerer. Just an honest rogue. Hehe!

What else could it be though? Magic. My magic? A magic device? There’s the ring. I’ve always had it. Since before. The dwarf said that. Barely rags to cover my modesty but a ring on my finger! Glad he turned it down. It wouldn’t have paid for his kindness though. Glad I’ve never sold it, even that one time with the potions.

The ring. My only link with the mysterious past. I wonder if that saved me. I’m never taking it off. But perhaps I should show it to Saerak. He’d know if there were magical properties.

What else, Selkie. Can you remember anything else? The cold and the dark, I couldn’t survive, even breathing water. I can see it again. Darkness, the lights barely visible. Fading to nothing.

‘Eeek!’

OK, ok nothing to worry about. No need to stare, just ignore me. That’s it look back to your own business. There you go, background noise starting up again. Sure your drink is more interest than a sudden scream.

Selkie, control yourself! Didn’t mean to shout out. But a face, a white face. Who was that? Who was that in the deep sea? I’m onto something. Starting to remember. Get another drink, Selkie and carry on.

I want to know.

From not caring, I want to know!

That’ll smooth the tavernkeep’s ruffled feathers anyway. Look no-one’s gone. No business lost.

Ok settle down again. So what have we got? A shipwreck. I was told as much. But who attacked and why. And why was I coming to Stormreach anyway? From Sharn? Probably, that’s where most ships come from. Attacked between Sharn and Stormreach. There’s some hobgoblin piracy, I see as much in the Stormreach Chronicle. And Sahuagin active in the Thunder Sea. I don’t really trust any, not even at Reaver’s Reach.

Just random bad luck. They wouldn’t be after me. Nah, not me. Who am I anyway?

Selkie now. Named by the dwarf who pulled me from the water. After some mythical aquatic creature he said.

Just Selkie. Rescued from the shipwreck by a white face who dumps me back on the land. Selkie the sole survivor. Who would believe that? Is something else possible, I wonder.

And a magic ring. Why do I have that? Have I other valuables elsewhere? Bottom of the sea, probably! The white face must be laughing! All those valuables, no need to keep me. Jewellery. That seems familiar … but why? Think. What were you doing? Moving jewellery for someone. Rings and gems. Precious metals? They wouldn’t bring it to Stormreach though. A frontier city like this. Weapons, armour that makes more sense. Wands, scrolls and potions much more of a market. And there are gems and jewellery and magic items aplenty coming out of Xen’drik. No need to bring such stuff here from Sharn.

Moving jewellery for me. Why would I do that? Setting up a shop here doesn’t make sense. A shop. Why does that seem familiar? That ache in my shoulders and the callous. Still there. From working in a shop? Is that what I was doing in Sharn. It would make sense, I’m quite handy when I need to be. Handy with those intricate tasks, trap control boxes and stuff. That feeling when I was rewarded with that Jeweller’s Loupe.

A jewellery maker that could be me! In Sharn and then leaving suddenly. Hehe, I can see it now!

Poor Selkie slaving away for some rich lord. Never getting a decent cut of the profits or even a pay rise for her efforts. Her great talent unrewarded. Her skills producing necklaces, tiaras, bracelets, rings that have the lords and ladies delighted. Some even being selected to be enchanted perhaps. But no renown after this hard work. Kept in the background. Over the months and years, a plan forms in her mind. A daring raid! She knows the traps and is clever enough to disable them. She can sweet-talk the guard, to be unobserved for precious minutes. Brave Selkie succeeds and enters the vault, quickly gathering the best pieces. The most valuable gems she can see. Then slips away into the night, never to return. Slipping past the Watch, sneaking away with a pile of loot. Smirking at the image of the lord’s fat face contorted in anger, when he finds out what has happened and suspects who has done it. His prize business stripped of its assets, both material and industrial. Chuckling as she boards a ship away from Sharn to enjoy a wealthy lifestyle of her own!

I wonder if that’s what really happened.

I’ll never know. But Sinaefay’s right, the past is important. I hope mine doesn’t catch up with me. Or has it already?

Oh, drink’s finished now. Nah, quite tired. Not another one, I’ll get some rest. Need to rest and tomorrow I can have a go at that job. What was that drunken dwarf saying? Damn sewers jobs. Have to see if some Spellswords want to come along and share the, hehe, glory. It’ll take weeks to get the smell out of my armour. Oh well, keeps me in the style I’ve become accustomed! Reminds I need to move those gems. Good quality for troll loot. Have to see if Lesto agrees this time.

Part 2

What have you become? What has changed? This day has drained me and I don’t know why.

It was an adventure and you got some great loot! But something has changed. What was different, Selkie? What was so different?

Haven’t you killed monsters and claimed your rewards? Given many a quick death and looted their possessions? And sometimes the monsters have been thieves and pirates. Just different in form. Not so different in their evil intent and actions to hobgoblins, trolls or giants.

Halting the evil with bow and sword. Sending arrows thudding into a Quickfoot. Dead before he hit the floor. The grate of steel on bone as you thrust your rapier in a Necromancer’s back. His blood draining away.

The past months have been filled with such moments. And no regrets or mourning them afterwards. No prayers for their passing.

No it’s not the violence.

Was it that they were elves? Is that’s what’s rattled you? It shouldn’t do. You’ve no prejudice. What background have you, to colour others you meet? No memory, no tradition. Just words and deeds to judge. Between good and evil.

There was him. That one. There was something about his face. So peaceful. So gentle. Lying on the stone pierced by your arrows. Blood pooling. Flecks of red on your white arrows.

What made you look back? I don’t look back normally. Why did you look back?

Was something familiar? Nah, impossible! It was just the bad light, so dim in there. There couldn’t be anything familiar. And you were so tired from all that time in battle. Barely a rest before fighting again. So many enemies killed.

But there was something more, wasn’t there. What can’t you remember? Do you know him from before? Had dealing with House Thuranni from before? Someone known to the lost lone survivor of the shipwreck. A link to your past. And you killed him without hesitating. From a distance before he could threaten you.

The cause must be right, because the methods are not.

I am as bad as they, attacking without reason. That’s the change. Different, but not necessarily evil.

The foundation’s have shifted, Selkie. Onto shaky ground. You must take care in your choice of quest. Take note that your past is forgotten. But not gone.

It’s there for you to discover.

Before it discovers you …

Part 3

Look at that view. The city of Stormreach at sunset.

The scintillating colours blur and a vision comes;

Two men. One sat at a desk, the other hurriedly rushing into the room. Dark wood and books crowd the walls, but the space is large and open, apart from the desk, chair and a rug.

‘Is it done?’, asks the man looking up from his desk.

‘Yes, my lord’, replies the other man, his formal robes swaying slightly with the haste of his entry.

The first man waves his hand and looked back to the scroll, with no outward sign of joy, relief or any other emotion. Vengeance is never a fulfilling emotion. Emptiness greeted its completion. The ship would be sunk, and the focus of his hatred would die.

The robed man hesitated, then bowed turned and as he left, a sigh escaped from his lips.

Damn, my head hurts! The images are fading now. Never been the same since I went on that weird adventure in her head. Damn Quori mind benders!

I wish I could direct it better. Perhaps you should get some instruction. Maybe you could get some help from the wizard trainers. Hmm, they are dotted all around the city.

Joining that party opening your eyes. I’ve teamed with wizards before, but they are mysterious.  Scrolls and wands I can understand a little at least. But spellbooks and all that research. No idea.

Aargh! I can hardly think straight with this head ache. Well it’ll pass by tomorrow. Get some rest and leave your foolish hopes behind elf maid!

Get some rest, yes.

Selkie looked up from her crystal goblet. Her eyes drifted to the window where the setting sun’s rays threw red-gold patterns about the room. So beautiful. Could she not stay here and enjoy all that Eberron could offer? Muse amidst the finery.

‘No.  Sadly, no.  You must endure danger and death in the darkness, treading where others dare not. You must endure all these before you can rest.’

Put down the wine and prepare for tomorrow elf-maid. Another day. Another task. Another gamble with low odds and fatal penalties. Relying on a group of fellow adventurers. Different every time.

Steady now, not too keen – you haven’t been in every dungeon, not yet explored every cave. That would take a lifetime I think. Still these rooms aren’t cheap.

Look at that view though.

Part 4

Oooph! Damn, knocked the wind out of me.

Get up Selkie! Get up! Run for it!

Keep running! That’s it they’ll never catch you up now. Quick. Down here and into the shadows. Slow down that pounding heart. Feels like they’ll hear it even when they can’t spot you.

All clear now? Wait a bit longer. Experience has taught you that.

No hurry. Wait for it to be all clear.

All clear now?

Yes. Can’t catch a professional rogue. Not one with a few tricks up her sleeve. And talent of course!

Well could have gone a bit better but you can dump that robe. Be funny to watch some goons trying to pat down some of the mages in Stormreach! But I’m not going to head back to see them try. They say a criminal always returns to the scene of the crime. Not this rogue though. Job done, now stay away.

That was a good idea to get that training from Carinth. What did she call it again? …  Way of the Mechanic. That was it. Seems so easy now, compared to before. The typical hiding places, the control panel workings. I can’t remember the last time being injured by a trap. You even learned something about Warforged.

But stay in the shadows. Stealth and secrecy. Thinking about it you’re overdue a visit.

‘Carinth!’

‘Damn … oh its you Selkie.’

‘I would say you’re starting to lose it old timer, but I won’t as I wanted to have a chat.’

‘Thanks for the compliment – just cause you haven’t aged in the 5 years you’ve been here, in looks anyway. Yeah a chat for old times sake? Well let’s go somewhere a bit more private.’

‘Then a dingy back alley isn’t private enough!? None of your victims would be able to see you skulking here. But it doesn’t rate highly on comfort. Let’s go.’

Any casual observer would not have seen the two rogues, elf and human, slip quietly away to a second floor set of rooms in House Kundarak.

‘Nice collection – your private haul, or are you holding for someone?’

One eyebrow rose, ‘I’m not justifying that with an answer. Anyway here try this’ the slender woman said, and handed me one of the dwarven repeaters from its wall brackets.

Not really looked at one of these exotic weapons so closely, but there was something about this one. The sheen of the wood, the intricate runes carved into the stock, ammunition box and crossbow, the silvery metal drawstring. And the unmistakable tingle of power, a strong enchantment. Was that what attracted you most Selkie? The value of such a rare weapon?

Maybe, but it felt so natural.

The weapon swung up, the stock fitting to her shoulder easily, her hand slid along the bow steadying it and her other hand moved to the grip and finger sought the trigger.

And she knew it. Could feel the accuracy and potential lethality.

‘You didn’t realise you could use this did you? I’m almost offended.’ Carinth smirked.

‘No’ I admitted, surprised. Nothing much surprises me these days.

‘Yes, you are well versed in the way of the mechanic now and have such an affinity that the mysterious workings of this dwarven repeating crossbow are unveiled before you. You don’t even need my training to be deadly with this beauty.’

A plan formed in my mind. To check the Stormreach auction house, discover who was moving some of these weapons and then raid their warehouse …

Although those dwarves were good at wards and protection.

Or there was the guild vault, she would seek out the vaultkeeper and request to browse these weapons, she had seen some last time she was in, but taken no heed of them. And now there was the bigger airship, there was sure to be more choice.

A grin spread across Selkie’s face. It was good to come out of retirement.

Part 5

It was the day that everything changed. There was all that upheaval in the planes.

She was enjoying some nice Sharn vintage wine, a little reward from insuring Lammania was ascendant, or something like that. Taking down an immortal general of Shavarath was the real euphoria. Doing her part amongst the mighty of the Guild.

Then her heart pounded and she was utterly speechless. A dizziness took hold and she gripped the table hard, fighting to stand, her eyes still locked on the elf girl approaching.

Almost cowering as the elf girl strode towards her smiling.

So similar and yet different, small details in her brow, a slight lighter colour of hair. A harder set of her jaw.

‘Sarylfiel my sister. It is a joy to see you. Finally you are found!’ the stranger said.

‘Sa-ryl-fi-el?’ Selkie sat down suddenly and one hand tried to massage the pain at her temple.

‘Yes Sarylfiel, are you unwell, you seem so?’

‘Shock’ she managed to mutter ‘It’s the shock’. I am Selkie and have been for years. Since arriving in Stormreach. Years ago.

‘You say you’re my sister, but I don’t know who are you.’ a tremor of fear clutched at Selkie’s belly at the stranger’s start of surprise and concern.

‘I am your sister. You sister, Narylfiel. You don’t remember do you. You don’t remember, I can see it in your eyes.’

Tears rolled down her cheeks as Selkie uttered a small ‘No’. She yielded to Narylfiel’s embrace and the goal of many years was realised. ‘Tell me of my past.’ she finally said.

Selkie listened without comment as she heard of her life before. Her abduction by a human merchant and her sister’s search through the Five Nations for her sister. Her discovery of her living in Sharn under a feudal contract and her escape to Xen’Drik. After Selkie was dizzy, trying to take it all in.

But I am Selkie. It is almost too much to have someone that knows about me more than myself. Telling me stories that I have no memory of.

Part 6

She looked at the elf maiden, whose features were creased with hurt and tears.

‘Sary how can you consider this? I’ve spent so long looking for you. I found you again, but now you will be lost. I can’t trust that Half-Orc Druid’

Sarylfiel reached down and carefully drew out the heart of wood. Momentarily mesmerised by the warm smooth feel and the lustrous polished grain.

‘Sorry Nary. I’m so sorry, but its too much for me.’ There’s so much pain and trauma in my history. This is a clean sheet. A fresh start. I’ll look out for the Spellswords and join you again.’

‘But it won’t be you, my sister. You left before as someone’s thrall. Now you leave of your own volition. Doesn’t our family bond mean anything to you?’

Selkie turned and walked away. A deep stab of pain as she heard called after her, ‘On this path you’re on your own. I will not seek you this time.’

Tentatively stepping from stone to stone, nervous breaths and her heart fluttering. Muttering, ‘Come on this is the right decision. You can do this Sary.’

‘So you have decided to pursue your rebirth. My tree will enjoy more sustenance’.

The ritual was brief, a lot of chanting by the tree. Then as the Druid brought out the heart of wood and held it aloft. The sunlight gleamed on its surface. And excruciating pain explodes in my chest. I topple forward screaming and blackout.

The screams still echo, but muffled somehow.

‘OK, OK you’re alive!’ a voice says.

Struggling to open my eyes, I look around. Pain in my chest fading to other pain.

It was happening again. All happening again. No nudge of driftwood and sting of saltwater. But freezing cold, and no strong dwarf lifting her out of the water. A small Halfling, with quick smile and darting glance stood nearby. Wreckage ebbed and flowed on the beach amongst the ice floes and the gentle snow fall muffling sounds and producing an uneasy calm.

‘Sooo, sooo cold’

‘Come along, this way we’ve got a fire going. You’ll feel better soon’

Ryan

Excellent work Chris.

I love the stories that are written by the Swords

Sinaefay

Very nice, as always when written by you 🙂

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The Spellswords | Dungeons & Dragons Online | Ghallanda Server | Read about us