Home Forums General New Melee toon

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Legend

Lo All

Been toying with idea of new melee toon for tr’ing my wf roguey type and have come up below, any feedback would be appreciated, will keep shortish to get idea of build.

lvl 20 WF 12Wiz/6 Fighter/2 Monk

Use Wraith form for the 25% Incorp + Displace and max dodge bonuses to 28%ish.
    Feats: 16 in total, go for 2 weapon fighter line, cleaves, Extend, Empower, Maximise, dodge, toughness, Khopesh.

Enahncements – Palemaster (a few beneficial melee to tier 4) reason why not tier 5 is due to kensai.
    Stalwart – defensive stance whilst dualing, extra prr,str, con etc.. to tier 4.
    Kensai – All way to tier 5 so am centered with Khopeshes, Keen edge etc…
    Monk – few scattered to benefit melee.

Not run all numbers but should be fairly high prr, 25% incorp, 50% displace, 28% dodge dualling khopeshes with perm death aura’s up.

Reason went for monk without stance (so not lvl 6) is that the stalwart stance enhancements seems so much more superior compared to monk in mountain.

I also believe that in Wraith form critical melee attacks drain 1d6 con, it does not state unarmed melee, just melee so not completely sure about this!

So theres the basics, am i missing anything really obvious or could improve? and if someone can confirm about the wraith melee attacks if known.

Cheers

Nikoli

Need fighter 8 for centered peshes due to the requirement for greater weapon focus 🙁 naughty devs!

Guessing you need wiz 12 for wraith? (not so hot on wizard enh yet havent faced respeccing Carlton)

Unless you want to go for shortswords or quarterstaff instead

Legend

Ah cheers Nik, I wonder if straight wiz 12/ fighter 8 is viable and forget the centering and monkish abils!

Ryan

Looks like a very survivable build Leg.

My only question is EE healing (Im thinking from a Clerics PoV)- specifically burst healing when the poop hits the fan (normal EE engagements will be a cakewalk with this build I think you’ll agree)

On Nannabot, in EE I tend to spot heal mostly, but will start massing and bursting when it gets hectic.
    You will need to NEB if both of your auras cant keep you up (or drop out of form or hope I can get Harms off in my cycle) – are the cooldowns on NEB long?

(I forget just how much my PMs NEBs hit for)

If you cant fit “peshes in the as Nik said – centred Sireth wielding would be rather good

Domend

Well i cant say for Wraith for sure but at least on Lich Form melee atacks do negative dmg when i hit melee with my wiz. I would say evasion would help for this build a lot and prolly could do nice dps as 12wiz/6fighter/2monk without having full kensei tree but in that case i would drop Defender Stance and go for fury.
    No matter what i would reconsider the WF choise as race but that needs more research to suggest something that help u increase dps as a palemaster.

Grugno

I’m currently playing a staff rogue palemaster in wraith form… but I do not think there is cos damage on crit hits.

Wiz12/Rng6/Mnk2 for improved evasion?

Ryan

Grugno, how do you find EE burst healing?

Grugno

Hi Ryan,

My little experience tells me that NEB is not so helpful. In EE, if you take huge amounts of damage you die – if you are a PM:)
    Rej Cocoon can be a life saver button, NEB definitely is not.

Legend

Cheers All

Evasion would be nice but would not be able to have centered with Khopeshes, have to be wf as it will be my tr20 but think wf be fine, S Swords or Staff are pretty viable too just means losing keen edge, I might try the 12 wiz/8 fighter until i have 2 viable s swords then swap in 2 monk levels!

Would not be an ee solo build Ryan, only use casters for those 🙂 and I think in ee I would prob need backup harm etc… but the defence of the displace or blur 50% to then get through Incorp 25%, to then get to the 28% dodge should mitigate a few hits, stacked with the prr once hit will hopefully be low, large groups of mobs on ee and I would be dead.

Meleeing whilst having a few conjuration acid specced spells (no save) casting will be fun, so acid fog, cloudkill, then the necro aura doing damage on top of crits on khop on a 14+.

Probably have to be Leg Dread/Primal destinies!

Grug – Would not mind testing the wraith form crits sometime, too good to not have with melee attacks.

CaT

@Grugno Don’t you need either Monk 9 or Rogue 10 for Improved Evasion? Don’t think a Wiz12/Rng6/Mnk2 qualifies no?

@Legend
    Regarding your build have you considered QStaves? Sireth is a very nice weapon, you remain centered and coupled with monk/kensai/LD enhancements I think it would make a strong combination. On the official forums the combination monk/fighter is considered a very powerful one atm and for good reasons.

Another thing to keep in mind is that your BAB will be pretty low (yes Tenser solves that partially but still) if you go mainly with wizard levels and on top of it HP too. A few lucky hits that go through your defensives and you might find yourself in a delicate spot with only NEB as a backup plan. You also need some sort of CC to stay on the safe side. Of course that you can also fall out of form to use Recon or scroll etc., but when doing that you are not meleeing and also you are more vulnerable 😉

I would say that this looks like a fun build, but definitively not eE material yet or maybe I am missing some nuances. For levelling to get a useful PL and TR I think it will rock the content 🙂

Sinaefay

If going Tempest5, you can take imp evasion from enhancements, Catgrim.

Seems like a fun build and should be doing fine in most EEs. The one big drawback might be light dmg though, but if using spell absorbing items, should be fine in most cases.

Legend

Def not a solo ee build but should be fine with strong group and cleric that can harm if willing, eh easy enough and believe can survive this.

Viable points on the to hit and hp Cat, I am not too concerned with this as you can now get the +10 to hit items along with a few other boosts, I don’t think the hp will be a problem either as will be in perm defensive stance from stalwart (+6 con etc…), wf give a few too, but as usual I am too lazy to actually run numbers 🙂

Light damage def a problem Jan, prob be 1 shot, spell absorb items good point, will make sure has cloak at least, it all really depends on the melee wraith touchs on crits with khopeshes equipped, not worth it if this only unarmed but Dom’s seem to work in lich with staff so…..
    Dual nightmare would be fun too, but I don’t want every one of my toons to aim for this 🙂
    Black dragon docent prob best with helm, prob need some new gear, ie null item, potency item for conj spells etc…
    CC would be nice but don’t think will happen with dc and limit of lvl spells 🙂

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The Spellswords | Dungeons & Dragons Online | Ghallanda Server | Read about us