Home Forums General Kensai fighter build *without* Oversized TWF?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Hey folks.  I’m considering a dwarven fighter tactics Kensai build and I have a question.  I am going to be a dual weilding daxe Kensai and was wondering how much the Oversized TWF feat is worth.  My last feat will be either Improved Sunder (tactics build with SB) or OSTWF.  This character was a Ranger with a nice selection of good bows at his disposal so I decided to go with the Manyshot series of feats as well as Kensai so feats are actually quite tight.  I didn’t even take Toughness.

I know I will take a penalty in the “to hit” area but given he is a fighter with access to a +2 “to hit” enhancement (dwarf axe enhancement) I am thinking the penalty will be a non issue except in the most extreme of quests.

Ryan

Hello Rob

Toughtrax was originally a TWF DAxe Stalwart. He had no “to hit” issues right up untill L14/15 (when I LR’d into THF).

I cant comment beyond that as my last Kensai TR’d as soon as he hit 20 because he was a damage magnet (and THF)

However, taking a guess, I would say you’ll be fine in EH at least and (another guess) that Destinies will take up any slack.

subliminal insertion – 123abcWF Sorc456def

Legend

Even with a large selection of Bows it will only be worth using the manyshot then swapping weapons immediately, very expensive line to go for for just one ranged abil that you will never match a ranger with anyway, I would not bother, what feats have you already decided to take? as you might be missing something especially if you can afford the bow feat line, u really need 7 feat slots for manyshot as you will want bow strength too.

Would just go for the d axes, fighter gives about the right amount of feats for a few lines to make you devestaing with the Legendary Dread destiny line, in answer to main question OSTWF not needed for this build.

Ludovik

I tend to agree with Legend when he says OSTWF not needed… And Kensai will be the last class who think they need it… Im sure your build can live without… But thats how the game plays today, and Im not sure mob AC vs hero to-hit will stay as is…

Concerning bows I also agree that its expensive to get the many shot and I would seriously reconsider if it meant toughness had to go… I understand you have a lot of nice bows and we all hate to work for something we then won’t need… Have you considered taking a few lives of fighter and then move back to ranger base for last life..?

Ludo

Ryan

Rob

just wanted to follow on from whats been said about Toughness and HPs from a healing point of view.

Bear in mind that I am the newest and least experienced of Guild endgame Divines (I have done less than 20 EE quests on Nannabot (no wipes though:-))) so these views are mine alone. Better/ more experienced healers may think differently.

In EE quests I personally like to see at least 850 HPs on non self suff classes. I prefer 1000+ especially on characters with low damage mitigation. This gives me breathing space when the group gets multiple mobs on them and the incoming damage is horrendously high – plus other reasons such as lag, character selection mistakes, RL distractions etc.

You are of course free to build your character anyway you like and I hope you dont think Im lecturing 🙂

Legend

Bleh, you should lecture, no toughness on a melee, good grief 🙂 I missed that bit!

Remember that is not just 20 extra hp but acces to hp from enhancements etc. from enhancements alone u get an extra 80hp, so +100hp in total, also the 2 epic feats you probably want to go for are epic toughness and overwhelming Crit, giving you a total of 150 extra hp, without toughness you get zero.

imo to get most out of the build, u will want following feats, forget the archer side.

Toughness, Power Attack, Cleave, G Cleave, Imp Sunder, Imp Crit, the 3 twf line, 3 weapon focus up to Superior, 2 weapon spec feats, epic toughness and overwhealming Crit.

Think you then got 4 feats left to play with, again still would not bother with manyshot as will have to invest in dex, hard decision on these, I would prob go for:

Stunning Blow, Dodge, Mobility, Spring Attack but there are prob few more options here.

Need to remember epic toughness and Overwhealming Crit need high stat pre req’s so you will need to ensure you can reach these by lvl 20, (would calculate with +3 tomes being used).

Easy to gear up with the Purple Dragon Knight set, Get 5 levels in legendary Dreadnaught and watch the mobs die fast.

Also I recommend before you TR to level up a few destinies from the ranger side, can be done quickly and will make big difference when you get to lvl 20 with new life.

Of course you can ignore the above and go for original build idea and I can just refer to you as typical gimpy yank as usual when grouped 😉

Awesome advice guys….I *completely* forgot about the epic toughness feat and I would absolutely want that.  Looks like I will forgo the bow stuff and just stick with the daxes.

Thanks again everyone…

And Ryan…stop selling yourself short, you may lack the experience of some others on here but you are still one helluva player and someone whose advice I appreciate.

Mad Leo

If you are 2WF and want many-shot the obvious answer is to take 6 ranger levels (you get healing wands while levelling, rams, and more skills too).

Ryan

Kind words Rob, thank you and I will return the compilment.

I will also remind you of what you said in the next EE I run with you after youve died 27 times due to my healing lol 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The Spellswords | Dungeons & Dragons Online | Ghallanda Server | Read about us