Home Forums General Advice for returning player

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Ispepxam

Hi Spellswords and Merry Christmas, Festivult, holidays to all.

As a returning player who has missed a lot of updates and new content over the last year+, I’m looking for advice on quests to do and gear to ‘farm’ for a couple (or three) of my characters.

I have a lvl28 Warforged arti who is a bastard sword wielding TWF DPS toon.

I have a lvl28 Bladeforged multiclass rogue who is a THF (quarterstaffs) solo based toon.

I have a lvl20 paladin DPS based THF (Greatswords) with an eye to solo play again.

I’ve got a few other toons that were once upon a time intended to give me a good variety of healers, spellcasters, barbarian, etc. but for now I’ll focus on getting the above DPS/solo builds up to lvl cap before moving on to any new project.

Finally, the guild airship is now a maze to me across lots of levels. Any advice on where to get the right buffs? I’ve used the ‘Amenities’ on the top deck and the ones in the cargo hold, but not sure if that’s the best/right option.

Any advice would be most welcome – lot’s of reading to do and I’ve spent the last few days on the DDO Forums and DDO Wiki to try and get a flavour of the changes…

Ispep (Jimmy)

Sinaefay

Welcome back Jimmy,

There has been alot of changes during your break, and I would first focus on getting back into the game by just playing (one becomes far rustier than one believe possible).

Rogues have gotten an enhancement pass, so you should look over the enhancements for your rogue.

Gear-wise a few big things happened.
    First, Cannith Crafting got an overhaul, and you can now craft solid end-game gear as well as leveling gear.

Secondly, legendadry shroud came out, with legendary greensteel. LGS isnt as good at its level as heroic gs was, but there are some very nice things one can craft. Your rogue will most likely want an int item, and then you will want to craft some weapons for your characters. We do 2-3 shroud runs per week on our guild raiding evenings.

Thirdly we have the Against the Slave-Lords quests and crafting (as well as named items). These are run alot in guild, as well as by pugs. I would suggest though that you try to get it done first time as unknown, either by soloing it or having a guild group doing it as if first time. Most pugs and guild groups are nowadays a farm-run, so will skip lots of nooks and crannies.

There are a few more quests with good items in them, Search and Rescue, Memoirs of an Illusory Larcener, Good Intentions come to mind. These are also good quests in themselves, and you should try and do them first time at your own pace or in a group that allows you to do so.

Ispepxam

Thanks for the great advice (Jan isn’t it?). I’ll be playing as much as I can over the holidays to get back the ‘feel’ of the game and getting used to the shortcuts and button clicks. Thankfully my mains are DPS based and less clicky than casters. I’ll take a look at some of your suggested quests and the cannith crafting. I was a decent level with one of my characters in the crafting, so this may be an interesting option for gear.

On the gameplay side, I definitely need to work out how to ‘select’ enemies without mouse clicking on them. As I recall, I used to tap a button repeatedly to cycle through the nearby enemies so that I could select a specific one to focus on – particularly for ranged attacks. If anyone can suggest the option or tick box I need to select or de-select to do this that would be a great help.

Hope to see some of you in game once I’m more familiar with what I’m doing and can think about raids again…

Ryan

Hello Jimmy.

Welcome back.

I thought I saw one of your alts yesterday.

Jans pretty much answered your questions.

Im currently running Iconic and Epic TRs so will be running “dailies” (quick, good XP quests on Epic Norm) so you’re welcome to join me if you see me online. Send me a tell if need be as I often miss who is logging on and off.

My main is Corazonroto.

Sinaefay

To cycle through enemies you use tab or shift – tab, depending how you want to cycle through them.

Dragavon

I have “select closest target” and “select next target” mapped to mouse buttons so that I can easily select targets.

I also have backspace and U mapped to mouse buttons so that I can select and use doors, trap boxes and pick up collectables.

Ispepxam

Thanks for all the advice folks.

I’m slowly getting to grips with all my gear, favourite clickies and some ‘new’ quests. I’ve sorted most of my key-mapping, but still one or two to figure out (collectables don’t appear to be ‘selectable’ unless I’m right next to them and use the mouse – I’ll check out Dragavon’s suggestion).

The ongoing learning for me is the higher level quest grind. I did try one of the lvl 31 quests Jan suggested and it didn’t go well, even on normal… hee, hee.

I may be lvl 29 now with my main, but he’s far from well kitted out. Lots to read up on LGS, Slaver and Cannith crafting to see what my best options are in short term and longer to figure out how to get my gear up to a decent standard.

See you all in game. Ispep

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The Spellswords | Dungeons & Dragons Online | Ghallanda Server | Read about us